Author Topic: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."  (Read 1393 times)

Dungeon Master

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 21
  • Glory: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« on: March 16, 2020, 10:32:33 PM »
There are few places in Faerun with as many organized evil organizations as the Dragon Coast.  Thieves guilds and other criminal organizations inhabt the loose islands, which have no real government other than what each city is able to impose upon it's citizens.

It is in this world of pirates, assassins, and crooked merchants that Veldora finds himself wandering, albeit along a lonely quiet, road for the moment.  Of course in a way, it's an excellent place for a young kobold to find his way through life.  While there are dangers in this part of the world, to be certain, in a more "civilized" city he may be executed immediately simply based on the unavoidable fact that he is a kobold.

Currently, you have left your clan who lives near the Lake of Dragons-- Or, as the humans call it, "Dragonmere".  You have many options of where you can travel to:

You can explore the Lake of Dragons more.  You've never had much chance to explore without the limitations of your family, so if you want to know more about it, now is your chance.

The elders of the clan told stories of the Sea of Fallen Stars, some sort of "sea" that is even larger than the Lake of Dragons, if that could be possible.  It's supposed to be a massive ocean-like lake that connects all of the East and West of the world-- surely you could meet all kinds of interesting people there!

Gulthmere Forest is a huge and healthy forest that  your clan knows to hold all sorts of tribes, as well as the powerful Nobanion, an immortal lion that patrols and protects the woods from any who would harm it.  There is also a small city here that is famous for those who study the magic of nature.

The Giant's Run Mountains are probably a bad idea.  Huge birds that have been known to swoop down and carry off kobolds live here, and even the mighty humans avoid the area.  But, if you can find some cover under trees from the bird-creatures, then it could mean you have less chance to run into humans that might want to kill you just for being a kobold.

You might be able to get a ride on a ship to the Pirate Isles.  A few kobolds have become pirates that you have heard of, although none have ever had a very happy time of it.  Still, with your magic, perhaps you could be very valuable on a ship, and wouldn't be treated too badly?

There are, of course, many cities and even small villages you could travel to if you wanted to intereact with others.  They are mostly human settlements, some small villages where a strange little non-violent kobold might be spoken to rather than just killed, or the larger cities where most people are too busy to care about a kobold wandering the streets.

The entire world is before you, and you can start going anywhere.  Where do you choose?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:25:23 AM by Dungeon Master »
What do you do?

Naruto Uzumaki

  • Guest
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
I choose the Gulthmere Forest

Dungeon Master

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 21
  • Glory: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »
The great Evil Yellow Orb has passed most of its path across the sky, and soon it's bright light would give way to nightfall.  As you set out in the direction of what you believe to be the Gulthmere Forest, a slight breeze increases.  The sky is clear of rainclouds, so at least you should be able to stay dry.

After about two hours of walking, the trees come within close view.  It is getting dark now, with the last of the Evil Yellow Orb going to sleep until tomorrow.  So far, you haven't run into any trouble, but you do notice that more animals are coming to the waters to drink.  Larger, faster animals like deer are especially eager to drink, but they keep a careful watch around themselves.  There are also quite a few different kinds of birds flying about and doing birdly things.

You can go farther along the Lake of Dragons, between the forest and the lake.
Or, you could follow the inland river that cuts through the forest.
Or, you could walk straight into the forest itself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:33:30 PM by Dungeon Master »
What do you do?

Naruto Uzumaki

  • Guest
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
Inland river that cuts through the forest

Dungeon Master

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 21
  • Glory: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
The water runs steadily through the river, and you can see plenty of fish of all sizes swimming around down there.  The bank slopes gently downward, then drops suddenly about 3 feet to the water.  Your toad certainly appreciates the view!

Up ahead, around a bend in the river and covered by trees so that you cannot see, you hear shouting!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:10:41 PM by Dungeon Master »
What do you do?

Naruto Uzumaki

  • Guest
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
I draw my crossbow and quickly but quietly approach and look around the corner

Dungeon Master

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 21
  • Glory: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:26:21 PM »
That will require a "Move Silently" check, which is a Skill with your DEX bonus, and a Spot check, which is a skill with your WIS bonus.  They are both a d20 roll.

You can roll your own dice, or use the online "dice bag" at this link and post the results:

http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20dicebag/
What do you do?

Dungeon Master

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 21
  • Glory: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 11:25:51 AM »
Move Silently roll 8 + 1 DEX = 9
Spot 9 -1 WIS = 9

Within 3 seconds, you have your crossbow drawn and loaded, and began moving quickly but quietly toward the bend around the wooded area.  Unfortunately, your didn't see the shallow water hidden in the thick grass, and are slowed down a little, making loud splashes.

When you have line-of-sight, it doesn't matter, as you see several humans that are only paying attention to each other.  Three humans with swords are attacking a single man who is defending himself with a bo staff.  You can't see because he is in the way, but you might have spotted somenoe sneaking up behind him. 
What do you do?

Naruto Uzumaki

  • Guest
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 11:45:30 AM »
I take aim at the closest one of the 3 and wait to see what there intentions are.

Dungeon Master

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 21
  • Glory: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
The other men shout more, and the old man with the staff stands calmly, listening.
Then, in an instant, the one on the left goes to stab at him with his longsword!
The staff comes up barely in time to knock the sword aside, and the other two men start attacking as well, cutting down and across at the old man.
What do you do?

Naruto Uzumaki

  • Guest
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
I pick up a nearby rock and throw it at a tree near them

Dungeon Master

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 21
  • Glory: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Veldora-- "Odd Chances."
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
Okay, you'll need to roll a ranged attack roll.
That will be d20 + 2 (+1 DEX, +1 Small)


What do you do?